[Samba] Minimum settings for browsing to work (with no issues)?

Uriel Avalos amscopub-mail at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 16 15:48:06 GMT 2008

OK guys what's the minimum (in a simple home network -- no subnets, mixed windows/linux boxes) to get browsing to work *with no issues*?

I've been reading the official samba how-to, specially chapter 10 and 29. However, it's not really clear. I went on the irc channel and did not find a definitive answer.

If I'm reading correctly, if you don't have a working DNS or WINS server, then you set samba to use broadcast: "name resolve order = bcast".

Is that really all I need for browsing?
What about my windows boxes?