[Samba] Samba configuration for win98, win2k and winxp clients

Mark Condic condic at comcast.net
Mon Dec 15 18:38:04 GMT 2008

Dear TIA,

I also have tried to do this with Windows98 & windowsXP.
see the thread "[Samba] newbie question/authenticate" from Nov. 30th.

I was looking for a simple way, so that students did not have to
log-on to the computers.

Here is what I have found out so far, (and I would appreciate your
follow up if you get this to work in windows98):

First,

I have only been very successful with Samba 3.2.6.
Windows98se does not have a /user: option, so this does not work with
Win98se.  Help?
I have setup username/password accounts in Linux and also the same
username/password using smbpasswd.
(can anyone tell me if webmin or swat can do this in one step, or do
I need my own script to do this?)

If the users are log-in, with the same username and password, they
can access the <students> directory without the need of my
script.  If they are not log-into Windows XP, then I created a script
(with help from others on the list,

[global]
         workgroup = XXXX
         interfaces = 192.168.1.203/255.255.255.0
         bind interfaces only = Yes
         security = SHARE
         map to guest = Bad User
         log level = 2
         smb ports = 139
         socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
         printcap name = /etc/printcap
         mangling method = hash
         os level = 255
         preferred master = Yes
         case sensitive = No
         mangled names = No

[students]
         comment = Work area files
         path = /students/%U
         read only = No

[teacher]
         comment = Master work area files
         path = /students
         valid users = teacher
         read only = No

I then created three batch files,

netuser.bat
@echo off
set/p Username=Enter your Username:
rem disconnects "s:" incase a user forgot to logoff
net use s: /delete /y
rem the net use with a "*" password will prompt for a password
net use s: \\test203\students /USER:%Username% * /persistent:no
dir s:
rem the last pause will allow us to see any error messages incase of errors
Pause

This batch allows me the teacher to have access to all of the students work

teacher.bat
@echo off
set/p Username=Enter your Username:
rem disconnects "s:" incase a user forgot to logoff
net use s: /delete /y
rem the net use with a "*" password will prompt for a password
net use s: \\test203\teacher /USER:%Username% * /persistent:no
dir s:
rem the last pause will allow us to see any error messages incase of errors
Pause

netlogoff.bat
@echo off
rem disconnects "s:" incase a user forgot to logoff
net use s: /delete /y
dir s:
rem the last pause will allow us to see any error messages incase of errors
Pause

Now if there was a real easy way to get this to work with
win98se.  Please let me know.
I have not tried this yet in the entire class.  Over break I will.