[Samba] Samba versions require specific Kerberos version?

Frank Burleigh fburleigh at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 20:48:13 GMT 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 8:52 AM, Lars Müller <lars at samba.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 09:12:53PM -0500, Frank Burleigh wrote:
>> My SuSE ES 10 SP1 (32bit) and SP2 (64bit) servers have (from the
>> opensuse repositories) Samba 3.2.4, with the MIT Kerberos provided in
>> the SLES distribution.  In other words, my Samba is a little "ahead"
>> of the Kerberos distribution.
>
> Samba uses the libraries as available at build time.  Therefore
> everything should fit and you don't have to fear being "ahead".

The openSuSE 10.3 "update" repository has Kerberos 1.6x, my machines have 1.4x.

I admit I worry about the dependencies between SLES 10 and the updates
available at the openSuSE repositories.  I suppose this is *our* form
of "DLL Hell." ;-)

>> I ask because the winbindd log on the 64bit machine is loaded with KDC
>> name resolution failures (the kdc is provided by our campus ADS).
>> Despite that, Samba seems to be serving files correctly with users
>> authenticated against ADS.  This behavior on the one machine, and
>> little odd things on both machines, are items I'd like to at least
>> understand over the next few weeks.
>
> As 3.2.6 is available please also test with this version.  See
> http://en.opensuse.org/Samba#openSUSE_Build_Service  3.2.6 is available
> from the STABLE repositories.

Samba updates have helped me in the past; once 3.2.6 has been "in the
wild" a few more days longer and the few update problems have been
better understood, I will indeed do that -- maybe 3.3, in fact.

> Lars

Thank you, Lars.