[Samba] samba 3.2.6 openSUSE binaries

Lars Müller lars at samba.org
Sat Dec 13 22:29:33 GMT 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 10:46:21PM -0600, Mark Condic wrote:
> I have noticed a big difference in the file size for two of the openSUSE
> binaries:
>
> 10.3
>
> <http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/network:/samba:/STABLE/openSUSE_10.3/i586/samba-client-3.2.6-3.1.i586.rpm>samba-client-3.2.6-3.1.i586.rpm
> 13-Dec-2008 01:34   46M
>
> 11.0http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/network:/samba:/STABLE/openSUSE_11.0/i586/
>
> <http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/network:/samba:/STABLE/openSUSE_11.0/i586/samba-client-3.2.6-3.1.i586.rpm>samba-client-3.2.6-3.1.i586.rpm
> 13-Dec-2008 01:33   13M
>
> Should there really be a 33M difference in the two releases?

Yes.

openSUSE 10.3 isn't able to create separate debuginfo packages.  Which
is the case for 11.0 and later.

If you add the size of the samba-client and samba-debuginfo of 11.0
you're very close to the 46 MB of the 10.3 client package.

It's possible to build the packages for 10.3 without debug sysmbols at
all but then you're not able to gather additional debug information.

Lars