[Samba] Authentication across two samba domains to a client share

Doug Coats dcoatshca at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 19:14:18 GMT 2008

I am a sysadmin at a small private school and I am trying to run a
program across two different domains.

Here is the basic setup.  I have a staff and a student domain
controlled by Samba on two different servers.  Some staff can
authenticate on both servers (using the same user name and password)
but no students can log into staff computers.  All client computers
are running Windows XP Pro.

Recently we purchased a "network" upgrade to our library card catalog.
 The library computer is on the staff domain.  The program targets a
shared directory on the library computer.  The share is set up as open
as I can make it.  So that all users can read.  That is all the
program requires. The program works fine from any staff computers.
The program works fine from student computers that a staff person is
logged into.  The program pops open a windows authentication window if
a student is logged into a student computer.

Security is set to user on both servers.  I tried setting "Map to
guest = bad user" but it did not seem to make any difference.  Is
there something I am missing?  I really need to find a way to make
this work since the point of it was mainly for the students to be able
to search the card catalog from the student computers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have googled but I can't
seem to hit upon the right combination of words to bring up useful
information.

Doug