[Samba] Re: samba on quad core vs dual core

Andy Liebman andyliebman at aol.com
Tue Dec 9 20:17:53 GMT 2008

> Samba will use all the cores you can give it - so long as
> you have at least more clients than cores.
>
> Jeremy.

While I have found that to be true in my environment, I have also found
that MOST smbd's end up on Core 0 MOST of the time.  This is true even
if I am hammering a 10 Gigabit network adapter (i.e., sending out 700
MB/sec via Samba distributed to 30 users), with total CPU utilization
only about 70 percent of one core.

Maybe this is optimal behavior.  I tried to start a thread on this  list
a while back about understanding what WOULD be optimal, and nobody had
much to say.

I think it would be an interesting discussion. NFS seems to make use of
multicores in a more even way. That doesn't mean the NFS behavior is
better.

Andy