[Samba] Printer upload problem

François Legal devel at thom.fr.eu.org
Tue Dec 9 16:29:58 GMT 2008

I don't know of this particular WorkCenter model, but I had a similar issue
with a 7328 and samba 3.2.X

The problem is that Xerox drivers install a print processor (other than the
ones natively available in Windows like WinPrint) which requires a windows
machine to be run.

I think (I don't know what is possible with samba 4 but I doubt this could
be possible) that setting up point'n print for this kind of printer with
samba is not possible. You require a Windows machine.

I don't know if you have any kind of support services available by Xerox
(that may help you solving the issue) but the only answer I could get from
their support is "Buy the PostScript option first, then we'll see".

I finally decided to not have the drivers uploaded to the server, and use
the server only as a print queue and select the right driver when
installing the printer on the client machine (with all the drawbacks that
come along with this method like having to setup the printer parameters and
options each time on each machine) which, I guess, is not an option to you.

If you can get this to work with (maybe) the help of Xerox, I'm interested
in the solution.

François