[Samba] Windows can see Ubuntu netbios names but not access or even ping

Otto Krüse ottokruse at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 14:21:37 GMT 2008

Hi All,

Situation:
Ubuntu 8.10
Samba 2:3.2.3-1ubuntu3.3
Samba Server acting as WINS and file server
All Windows clients are setup with the reference to the WINS server
nsswitch.conf setup: files wins dns
smb.conf setup: lmhosts wins host bcast
If I use IP adresses all works fine so it's clearly a name resolution
issue
Also bind9 DNS is installed (don't know if this matters)

Problem:
Here's the funny thing: when my I browse the local network on my
windows machine I can see the server (called ubuntuserver1). So
somehow my windows pc can resolve the name. But when I try to access
it (by double clicking) windows complains it cannot find the name.
Also ping ubuntuserver1 does not work.

It seems netbios name resolution works fine for some applications
(browse) but not for others (ping, access).

This used to work fine a while ago, also in 8.10. But for some odd
reason it doens't any more and I haven't even touched samba setup. Is
this a regression in the new samba version propagated a few weeks ago?

Note: Name resolution works fine for other linux machines in the
network. So it has something to do with Windows (both XP and Vista)
compatibility.

Help is highly appreciated, I have been breaking my head on this...