[Samba] server or client having the problem?

rhubbell rhubbell at ihubbell.com
Thu Dec 4 18:25:06 GMT 2008

I was trying to get a feel for samba as a solution to just serve files.
I ran a long duration test over the holiday.
I haven't tried it again.

[global]
workgroup = smbmnt
server string = Samba Server
security = server
hosts allow = 192.168. 127.
load printers = no
log file = /var/samba/log/log.%m
max log size = 50000
passdb backend = smbpasswd
dns proxy = no

[smbmnt]
path = /data/a1/b1/c1
public = no
valid users = daemon
writable = yes

On the client:
mount -t smbfs -o username=daemon //server/smbmnt /smbmnt

I was hesitant to enable too much logging as I read there
was a severe, negative performance impact.
Performance is a keystone for me. It seems to hold up fine so I can
increase and try again but explorations like this take a lot of time so
I may not pursue this; at least not right away.