[Samba] Problem accessing [home] share - SMB/AD

Matthew Arguin marguin at jackpotrewardsinc.com
Thu Dec 4 15:35:36 GMT 2008

I have a deployement of samba 3.2.5, with MIT KRB5.1.6.3 and authentication
from Win2k3 AD server.  I am able to access public shares as well as
restricted shares such as an 'Engineering' share when I put my user in the
correct AD group.  However, I am completely unable to access my "Home"
share.

Getent passwd, works (grepped for my username)
   marguin:x:502:502::/home/marguin:/bin/bash
   marguin:*:20045:20000:Matthew Arguin:/fileshare/private/marguin:/bin/bash

Getent group, works
finance:*:20001:user1,user2,marguin
allsmbusers:*:20012:marguin,all the other group members

My dir
drwxrwxrwx  7 marguin     allsmbusers  4096 Dec  3 19:16 marguin
And that marguin for the owner, corresponds to 20045, the AD user, not the
local user.

Testparm /etc/samba/smb.conf only complains about the '+' that I use as the
delimiter

[global]

        workgroup = DOMAIN
        realm = DOMAIN.NET
        server string = %h Samba Server Version %v
        netbios name = FS
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        log level =10
        security = ADS
        use kerberos keytab = true
        #client use spnego = yes
        password server = <IP of AD server>
        encrypt passwords = yes
        local master = no
        domain master = no
        preferred master = no
        dns proxy = no
        idmap uid = 20000-40000
        idmap gid = 20000-40000
        template homedir = /fileshare/private/%U
        template shell = /bin/bash
        #template primary group = "Domain Users"
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        winbind enum users = Yes
        winbind enum groups = Yes
        winbind separator = +
        winbind cache time = 300
        # no is default
        winbind nested groups = Yes
        wins server = <ip of WINS server>

[homes]
        comment = Home Directory for %u
        path = /fileshare/private/%u
        browseable = no
        writable = yes
        valid users = @%D+%u
#        invalid users = temporarily commented out for troubleshooting

Looking for any thoughts