[Samba] Samba and the WinXP WebClient

LÉVAI Dániel leva at ecentrum.hu
Thu Dec 4 10:21:22 GMT 2008

Hi!

We've had horrible performance when opening files from out Samba server
with OpenOffice.org on some of our XP machines (not on all, I might
add). Also, the general file transfers (copy to/from server) were fast
and adequate.
Then I had stumbled upon the Samba HOWTO which mentioned turning off
this "WebClient" service on WinXP.
I'm just rather curious, why does this WebClient slows down the opening
of files with OO.org? Anyone care to elaborate?

Thanks in advance!

Daniel

--
LEVAI Daniel