[Samba] Off Domain Login Problem

Peter Walsh peter at walshcrowley.com
Thu Dec 4 01:38:43 GMT 2008

At the small non-profit I support I have a Mac OS X Server (10.4)
supporting about 15 Windows XP clients. I use Open Directory for user
management and the OS X Server is the PDC for the Windows domain. I
have it set-up to use remote home folders on the server so any user
can log in from any machine on the network. After a bumpy start, this
is working very well. The users are not "power users" but have come to
embrace the concept of there stuff not being tied to a specific machine.

Now I have two Windows XP laptops to add to the domain. They work fine
while connected to the domain but can not authenticate while being
used off site (e.g. disconnected from the domain). The local security
policy on the laptop is set to cache the domain login but it always
says it can not find the domain. Is there something in the Samba
config I am missing?

If possible I want to avoid setting up the user as a local user on the
laptop since they would now have stuff in two places.

If I do manage to get disconnected authentication to work, I also
wonder what would happen with file synchronization. Will the two sets
of use files merge? Will one folder overwrite the other? What about
same name/diff modified dates?

Any thoughts/advice from someone who has tried a similar set-up that
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.