[Samba] Authentication with -A for smbclient

Koszalek Opalek koszalekopalek at interia.pl
Wed Dec 3 18:30:08 GMT 2008

I can log in to a remote machine with the following command:

[joez at fedora5 svnhook]$ smbclient //baobab/users blahblah -U joez -D
joez
Domain=[BUDAPEST] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
smb: \joez\>

As you see my password is blahblah and my user name is joez.
I have put this information into a file:

[joez at fedora5-64 ~]$ cat ~/.smbcredentials
username = joez
password = blahblah
domain   = BUDAPEST

Then I tried the following command using -A and the credentials file
instead of specifying the user and the password on the command line:

[joez at fedora5-64 ~]$ smbclient //baobab/users -A ~/.smbcredentials -D
joez
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

What am I doing wrong?
I can send a detailed debugging output (-d 10) if the above
information is not sufficient.

I am using this version of smbclient:
[joez at fedora5-64 ~]$ smbclient --version
Version 3.0.24-7.fc5

K.