[Samba] Can change password but cannot force password change

Bryan Payne bpayne at speedfc.com
Wed Dec 3 16:16:16 GMT 2008

The setup:
Two pdc's- pdcA is local, pdcB is remote.
Openldap- local, both pdc's talk to it.

The situation:
I set a user's pwdLastSet to zero to force a password change upon login.
If the user is logging into a machine talking to pdcA, it asks them to
change their password. If the user is logging into a machine talking to
pdcB, it acts like the user doesn't exist. However, if that user has an
already set password, they can login to either pdc. Even further
confusing me is that the users can change their password when talking to
either pdc.

Amazingly enough, the logs don't tell me anything, ldap logs or pdc
logs. The only difference between the pdc's is one pdcA is Ubuntu Hardy
while pdcB is Ubuntu Feisty.