[Samba] Problems when migrating from an old machine to a new one.

BOURIAUD David david.bouriaud at ac-rouen.fr
Tue Dec 2 12:30:28 GMT 2008

Hello,
I've got problems with my fresh install of samba. Here is the background :
We have an old machine on which I installed samba, release 3.0.9. It ran a
linux from scratch system, but I was not well documented about samba at the
time I did this install, so here is how we used to use it. The users accounts
were both created in the system (/etc/password) and for samba (smbpasswd). All
had groups and so on, but I wasn't well documented about both samba and
windows when I put this machine online. So, to have users have the environment
the needed, we used to pass on every workstation and added users to the
machine with the local administrator's accound. We added them as belonging to
the local Administrator's group.
Here is what we used to do.
Now, I've got a new machine which is based on rhel 5 and runs samba version
3.0.28. I've also installed a ldap server on another server and made them both
communicate using the recommended settings for samba, nss, smbldap-tools and
so on. Please, beleive me, it just works fine. The problem is somewhere else.
I've copied all datas belonging to users from the old server to the new one,
assigning the right permissions, and I get all the files at the right place.
The problem concerns the profiles I got from the old machine.
On the old machine, they were stored in /home/user/profile.
I've seen in different newsgroups that this is not a good idea and that they
should be stored in anywhere else thant in the user's home directory. So I
created a new directory on the new machine, /home/profile in which I copied
every profile in any directory as there are users (/home/profile/user).
I've checked permissions, they are ok.
Now, in the ldap directory, I've made for sure that every user belongs to the
domusers group, mapped to "Domain Users" windows group.

And now, here is the problem : if I log in against this new pdc server with an
old account, I get all the files on the shared, I can modify, delete, view
them as I did before, but I have no rights on my profile. So, the windows
start menu is empty (no link to internet app, neither for email program), I
can't add the network's neighbourhood icon on the desktop, same for "My
computer", and so on. I don't get back the desktop image background, and the
keyboard is mapped qwerty even though I'm in france and expected a french
layout.

If I empty the profile share and log in on the same machine (provided I've
removed the c:\Documents and Settings\user directory, I'm considered normal
user and everything works fine (but I've lost all my preferences I had
before).

I've read that there is a tool named profiles that can help change domain sid
in the NTUSER.DAT file located in the user's roaming profile. I've tryed this
tool, and as root on the new samba machine did :
$ profiles -c OLD_SID -n NEW_SID ./NTUSER.DAT
$ mv NTUSER.DAT.new NTUSER.DAT && chown user:group NTUSER.DAT
before login in on a new windows workstation, but it doesn't help.
Could anyone help me find what's wrong here ?
I don't know what kind of informations are required to help me, so if one
think I should give one or another information, don't hesitate to ask.
Hoping to hear from you soon.
Best regards.