[Samba] [ANNOUNCE] Samba 3.2.2 Available for Download

Gary Greene greeneg at altimatos.com
Sun Aug 31 04:56:04 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 27 August 2008 02:03:55 pm Nicholas Brealey wrote:
> Brian H. Nelson wrote:
> >> Michael Adam wrote:

> >> What is more, rpath also has some bad effects (when
> >> updating libraries, e.g.), so it should not be set unconditionally.
> >
> > Could you elaborate on why/when setting rpath would cause problems? I'm
> > having trouble coming up with an example.
>
> I think there was an issue with RPATH in the executable taking higher
> priority than the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable and Linux
> distributions updating libraries in a funny way (moving the old
> libraries to a different directory).
>
> On Solaris LD_LIBRARY_PATH always had a higher priority than RPATH
> although I think this broke some standard. To comply with standards,
> RUNPATH was introduced which has a lower priority than LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> matching the behaviour of the Solaris RPATH. The -R option on Solaris
> now sets both RPATH and RUNPATH but RPATH is ignored when RUNPATH is
> present.
>
> A cannot think of any objection to using -R with $ORIGIN on Solaris.
>
> See:
>
> http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-1984/6mhm7pld8?a=view#indexterm-814
>
> I don't see why there should be a problem on Linux provided the RPATH
> only includes directories which are part of the Samba build and are
> exclusive to Samba.
>
> /opt/samba/bin, /opt/samba/lib and RPATH=$ORIGIN/../lib would be OK.
>
> /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/lib and RPATH=$ORIGIN/../lib would bad.
>
> /usr/bin, /usr/lib and RPATH=$ORIGIN/../lib would be very bad.
>
> Nick

This is not true. The reason most distributions cannot use RPATH is that when
packaging, you build a package into a temp root for the packaging software to
turn into a package. In this case, you'd get unusable RPATHs since it'd be
sometime like <PATH TO BUILDROOT>/usr/lib, etc.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from: peorth

Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from: peorth
 21:55:49 up  3:24,  6 users,  load average: 1.27, 0.90, 0.56