[Samba] When to restart samba

Andrew Masterson Andrew.Masterson at nuvistaenergy.com
Fri Aug 29 21:15:41 GMT 2008

Thanks for the info - I've gotten conflicting info from SWAT, Webmin and the man pages, so I thought I would ask.  It appears that there isn't a hard rule for when to restart vs. wait for autoload so I'll have to play with it a bit to figure out when and what.

-=Andrew

On Friday 29 August 2008 10:27:10 Andrew Masterson wrote:
> > > If I understand correctly, in order to have the smb.conf file
>
> applied
>
> > > you need to restart smbd.
> > >
> > > Is "service smbd reload" sufficient (which does a "killproc smbd
>
> -HUP")?
>
> > > Will this kill any active connections to samba resources causing
>
> user
>
> > > disruption?  Or is this a seamless process that can be carried out
> > > midday?
> > >
> > > I ask because if I need to kill all user connections to production
> > > shares in order to test different share parameters that changes my
> > > approach.
> >
> > If you make changes to the [global] stanza in smb.conf you need to
>
> restart
>
> > Samba's smbd and nmbd daemons.
>
> And winbind as well?  The documentation seems to indicate that winbindd
> needs to be started after nmbd and smbd - so does it need to be
> restarted as well, or will it remain active?  Are there potential
> conflicts if winbind isn't shut down before restarting the nmbd and smbd
> daemons?

Yes, winbindd and smbd should be restarted after changing the global stanza of
smb.conf.  In reality, this is only necessary when global parameters have
been changed that may impact Samba's behavior.  For example, changing
the "log level" parameter does not require restarting of any Samba daemon.
Check the man page for smb.conf to determine if a restart is perhaps
necessary.

> > Changes to the share stanzas in smb.conf generally do not require a
> > restart of smbd. Smbd monitors the smb.conf file for changes.
>
> Could you elaborate on "generally" and give me an estimate of how long
> it takes for the changes to be reloaded?

That depends on the OS.  On some older systems this can take 20 sec or so, on
all modern systems the change is almost immediately effective.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra

"Don't do as I do; Show me better!" - Anonymous.