R: [Samba] Very Slow!

Brian McGrew brian at visionpro.com
Fri Aug 29 16:09:44 GMT 2008

>> I=A9=F6m seeing very slow transfers from Samba....  I=A9=F6m not sure how else t=
>> describe it.  If I try and copy a 4GB DVD image from the server to any
>> Windows box (XP, 2003, 2008, MacOS) it estimates more than 4 hours to co=
py.
>> However, if I FTP to the server from any given client I can move the who=
le
>> file in less than 2 minutes...
>=20
> Try "downloading" the file from another LINUX machine using smbclient.
> How fast is that?  That will take the Windows mystery variable out of
> the equation.  Odds are that the smbclient download will be very fast.
-----

No difference!  Using the smbclient on another Linux machine (Fedora Core 3=
)
on the same subnet, same switch at GigE --- about 4MB copied in 5 minutes.

Copying the file via NFS from this Linux machine to my Windows machine, I
was gettingh right about 67Mbit with 7% port utilization according to the
stats on my Foundry switch.  Using smb:// for the same file, same machine, =
was seeing 2Mbit with .2% port utilization.  This with Windows and
smbclient.

-brian
--=20