[Samba] When to restart samba

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Aug 29 14:50:33 GMT 2008

On Friday 29 August 2008 09:30:05 Andrew Masterson wrote:
> If I understand correctly, in order to have the smb.conf file applied
> you need to restart smbd.
>
> Is "service smbd reload" sufficient (which does a "killproc smbd -HUP")?
> Will this kill any active connections to samba resources causing user
> disruption?  Or is this a seamless process that can be carried out
> midday?
>
> I ask because if I need to kill all user connections to production
> shares in order to test different share parameters that changes my
> approach.

If you make changes to the [global] stanza in smb.conf you need to restart
Samba's smbd and nmbd daemons.

Changes to the share stanzas in smb.conf generally do not require a restart of
smbd. Smbd monitors the smb.conf file for changes.

Existing connections will not see the changes made, so clients that have an
existing connection should log off and logon again.

- John T.