[Samba] Receiving SMB: Server stopped responding

Jason A. Nunnelley jason at jasonn.com
Fri Aug 29 13:33:05 GMT 2008

Jason A. Nunnelley wrote:
 > This seems to be an ongoing, never-ending problem with our installation of Samba
3.0.31, patched, running in FreeBSD 7.0 Stable RELENG updated.

 > tail -f /var/log/samba/winbindd.log
 >
 > [2008/08/28 10:26:31, 0, pid=1839] libsmb/clientgen.c:cli_receive_smb(111)
 >   Receiving SMB: Server stopped responding
 > [2008/08/28 10:26:43, 0, pid=1839] libsmb/clientgen.c:cli_receive_smb(111)
 >   Receiving SMB: Server stopped responding
 > [2008/08/28 10:26:56, 0, pid=1839] libsmb/clientgen.c:cli_receive_smb(111)
 >   Receiving SMB: Server stopped responding

Posting over myself to update those that were paying attention.

I had every intention of looking more deeply into this problem and reporting a daemon
level activity during the "quiet times" seen with this incarnation of Samba.  But, here's
what I have to report instead -- and there's no known/clear logic yet.  The folks come
into the office in a few hours and we'll see how it behaves under real-world activity.

Previous condition:
PDC
Samba 3.0.31 patched for the winbinds problem reported recently
FreeBSD port version
"Server stopped responding," with no more feedback in the log
Full smb.conf (present) attached below for consideration (domain modified)

1) I made a few modest changes to the smb.conf which /shouldn't/ necessarily have had that
severe an impact on overall performance.  But, seemingly it did.
2) We ran real-world tests with Paradox (a Windows-based dB using files on the SMB shares)
that stressed the NIC to its limits all night.  We pushed a script to 5 client machines to
search, index, etc. the smb share data to the peak of its ability with the present network
hardware.
3) The winbinds error listed above went away immediately with the modification to the
smb.conf, and has not returned during testing or quiet on the network.

Here's what I changed:
auth methods = sam
hosts allow = 192.168.1.

I removed 127.0.0.1 from the host allow.  That should have had no effect.  But, it was one
of the changes I made.  I also added an authentication specifier, which is what I think
made the difference.  Unfortunately, this is on a production network and I need to let
these poor folks make a few dollars before I start playing with the config to see if I can
recreate the error and capture the feedback from some auditing/developing tool.

I'll post more information on this issue.

--

Jason A Nunnelley
President Tech Anything, Inc.

1 888 846 4109 Fax
1 256 962 0290 Voice

Full smb.conf as it is now:

[global]
workgroup = SMBGROUP
map to guest = Bad User
add machine script = /usr/sbin/pw useradd -d /var/lib/nobody -g 100 -s /bin/false -n %u
log level = 1 winbind:2
debug pid = yes
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
logon drive = H:
domain logons = yes
domain master = yes
netbios name = SMBHOST
os level = 65
preferred master = yes
logon script = logon.bat
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
veto oplock files =
/*.dat/*.DAT/*.db/*.DB/*.Y??/*.y??/*.XG?/*.xg?/*.MB/*.mb/*.VAL/*.val/*.PX/*.px/*.mdb/*.MDB/*.lck/*.LCK/
wins support = yes
auth methods = sam
use client driver = yes
veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/riched20.dll/*.{*}/
hosts allow = 192.168.1.
hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0
server string = SMB Server
idmap domains = ALLDOMAINS
idmap config ALLDOMAINS:default = yes
idmap config ALLDOMAINS:backend = tdb
idmap config ALLDOMAINS:range   = 10000 - 50000
idmap alloc backend = tdb
idmap alloc config:range = 10000 - 50000

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = no
Writable = yes