[Samba] Samba ignoring socket options?

Lars Müller lmuelle at suse.de
Fri Aug 29 11:36:30 GMT 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 12:53:00PM -0700, Mike Myers wrote:
> Hi everyone.  I am running Samba 3.2.0-22.1 (as packaged by OpenSUSE in
> 11.0) on a storage server connected to multiple windows based clients
> over a gigabit ethernet link.  The server is a quad core Intel CPU and
> is equipped with an Intel e1000 based gigabit ethernet controller and plugged into a common gigabit ethernet switch with the windows clients.

Is this still the case?

In addition to Jeremy's suggestion I'd like to see you testing this with
a straight connection between the two systems.  But after reading the
rest of your posting it's not very liekly to help.

For openSUSE 11.0 we'll also soon see an official update to 3.2.3.

Meanwhile you might use the packages provided by the openSUSE Build
Service.  See http://en.opensuse.org/Samba#openSUSE_Build_Service for
how to access them.

> Samba is getting roughly 30 MB/s tranfer rates from the linux server to a windows vista and a windows XP client,
> and the disks on both windows machines are RAID0 (4 and 2 disk RAID0
> sets respectively), so I don't think I am running into filesystem
> performance issues on the target.  Moving from the windows systems to Samba, I see about 45 MB/sec transfers rates.

The write case is faster than read.  Strange to me.

> The
> raid array on the samba server consist of 2 6 disk raid5 sets with fast
> disks on them, running lvm and XFS for a filesysteem.  I can do a dd of
> a multigigabyte file to /dev/null and get roughly 500-600 MB/'s
> transfer rates through the filesystem, so I don't think the raid array
> and file system is a bottleneck.

Do you have some space on a local disk with ext2, no raid, no lvm?  Only
to ensure your issue isn't caused by one of these components.

> I have run netperf tests
> between the server and the clients to see if I had some network
> plumbing problems.  With default socket settings for netperf (8182
> buffer size), I get about 300 mbps transfer rates between the clients
> and the server (which matches approximately the 30 MB/s transfer
> rates).  With 65536 byte buffers, that number goes to 970 or so Mbps,
> so I think the interface cards, TCP stack, switches are all ok.

Therefore this might be caused by the file system in use.  Please try to
test the way as suggested above.  If it isn't solved already.

Lars
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]
Samba Team