[Samba] Very Slow!

Brian D. McGrew brian at visionpro.com
Fri Aug 29 05:32:54 GMT 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 02:34:02PM -0700, Brian McGrew wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 02:20:09PM -0700, Brian McGrew wrote:
> >>     socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
> >
> > Quick try: Remove that.
> >
> > Curious question -- why did you set those options?
> -----
> It didn't change, still says 4 hours and is taking 3 to 4 seconds to
copy
> 1k.

You re-started smbd?
-----

Yeah, I did a 'service smb restart' and everything came back OK.  Just
for grins I rebooted the server about an hour ago, just in case I missed
something.  No dice, same thing.

Still, very slow.  ++4hour estimate to copy a 4GB file.  <2mins via FTP.

System info:
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5 (Tikanga)
    Kerlen 2.6.18-8.el5 SMP x86_64
    Samba version 3.0.23c-2
    Eth0 && Eht1 bonded to bond0, 2Gbps.

    /etc/samba/smb.conf attached below...

I'm seeing very slow transfers from Samba....  I'm not sure how else to
describe it.  If I try and copy a 4GB DVD image from the server to any
Windows box (XP, 2003, 2008, MacOS) it estimates more than 4 hours to
copy.  However, if I FTP to the server from any given client I can move
the whole file in less than 2 minutes...

I'm not a Samba expert, so anything is helpful at this point!!!

-brian

[global]
    netbios name = mvppvt125
    realm = MACHINEVISIONPRODUCTS.COM