[Samba] Samba ignoring socket options?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Aug 28 21:53:54 GMT 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 05:31:50PM -0400, Steve Thompson wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, Jeremy Allison wrote:
>
> >Can you try using smbclient to do a large file transfer from
> >another client Linux box and time that please ?
>
> Minor rant. One thing that slightly bugs me about smbclient is that it
> reports the transfer rate as "kb/s", which means nothing to me. Is this
> "KB/s" or "Kb/s"? Well, it's the former: kilobytes per second. So
> shouldn't it say "KB/s"?

Easily fixed. I'll probably do that.

> BTW, I get 43 MB/s with a single 12 MB file on GbE without any socket
> options; linux -> linux.

Ok, that's the same as the Windows systems right ? Should be
higher than that. Ok, at least we've removed the black box
from the system - everything can be examined in open source
code now. You should be able to get 100MB/sec (or close to
it) I think.

You might need to try looking into tbench/dbench to examine
where the bottleneck is :

http://samba.org/ftp/tridge/dbench/README

Jeremy.