[Samba] Receiving SMB: Server stopped responding

Jason A. Nunnelley jason at jasonn.com
Thu Aug 28 15:59:50 GMT 2008

This seems to be an ongoing, never-ending problem with our installation of Samba 3.0.31,
patched, running in FreeBSD 7.0 Stable RELENG updated.

tail -f /var/log/samba/winbindd.log

[2008/08/28 10:26:31, 0, pid=1839] libsmb/clientgen.c:cli_receive_smb(111)
   Receiving SMB: Server stopped responding
[2008/08/28 10:26:43, 0, pid=1839] libsmb/clientgen.c:cli_receive_smb(111)
   Receiving SMB: Server stopped responding
[2008/08/28 10:26:56, 0, pid=1839] libsmb/clientgen.c:cli_receive_smb(111)
   Receiving SMB: Server stopped responding

And, it seems to be both periodical at times, then completely random.  The thing just
stops responding to winbinds for no logged reason.

Is there any way to get Samba to tell me what the devil it's doing while it's busy
ignoring everything?

So long as network use is light, there's no problem.  I also wonder if it's possible that
it just decides to stop responding under some particular amount of arbitrary load, or
perhaps the NIC's bandwidth being close to max causes it to lock up.  I'm grasping at
straws.  I've got well over 50 hours in troubleshooting this thing and no real leads on
why it's periodically just refusing connections... then coming back with no fanfare.

--

Jason A Nunnelley
President Tech Anything, Inc.

1 888 846 4109 Fax
1 256 962 0290 Voice

OneBigBook[tm], OneBigBrand[tm], OneBigBiz[tm], and OneBigShow[tm] are services provided
by Tech Anything, Inc.