[Samba] [ANNOUNCE] Samba 3.2.2 Available for Download

Michael Adam ma at sernet.de
Thu Aug 28 09:46:36 GMT 2008

Nicholas Brealey wrote:
> Brian H. Nelson wrote:
> >Michael Adam wrote:
> >
> >>What is more, rpath also has some bad effects (when
> >>updating libraries, e.g.), so it should not be set unconditionally.
> >
> >Could you elaborate on why/when setting rpath would cause problems? I'm
> >having trouble coming up with an example.
> >
> I think there was an issue with RPATH in the executable taking higher
> priority than the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable and Linux
> distributions updating libraries in a funny way (moving the old
> libraries to a different directory).

I think that pretty much nails it down.

This for instance makes it impossible (on Linux) to make test
from a source/build directory with RPATH without doing
"make install" first.

> On Solaris LD_LIBRARY_PATH always had a higher priority than RPATH
> although I think this broke some standard. To comply with standards,
> RUNPATH was introduced which has a lower priority than LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> matching the behaviour of the Solaris RPATH. The -R option on Solaris
> now sets both RPATH and RUNPATH but RPATH is ignored when RUNPATH is
> present.

Ah, interesting to know.

> A cannot think of any objection to using -R with $ORIGIN on Solaris.

Why not simple give it the absolute LIBDIR path from configure?

By the way, as already stated in another mail:
You can link your binaries with any RPATH you like by calling
configure this way (without modifications to samba code):

LDFLAGS="-R..." ./configure --prefix=... ...

Cheers - Michael

--
Michael Adam <ma at sernet.de>  <obnox at samba.org>
phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9