[Samba] Winbind and Global Catalog

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Wed Aug 27 14:27:19 GMT 2008

Sven Anders wrote:
> Gerald (Jerry) Carter schrieb:
>> Sven,
>>
>>>   Does winbind work with a Global Catalog?
>> Winbind does not rely upon global catalog.  I added
>> some search APi recently for GC support but there are
>> not currently being used.
>
> What does this mean?
> Does winbind do not use the global catalog at all?

Not currently.

>> This should work in spite of GC or not.  But enumerating
>> users is really expensive and I wonder if you really have
>> to do that.  But that is another topic.
>
> What other possibilities do I have? Some faster?
>
>> What doesn "wbinfo -m"? Sounds more like and problem with the
>> in forest trusts. What Samba version are you running?
>
> I'm running Samba-3.0.28a.

In the release notes for 3.2.0, you will see that the
support for domain and forest trusts was greatly improved.

  Winbind and Active Directory Integration:
  o Full support for Windows 2003 cross-forest, transitive trusts
    and one-way domain trusts.

I'd suggest you give that version a try.

> The "wbinfo -m" command lists all domains
> (GROUP and GROUP1..GROUP10).
>
> Isn't joining to the CG-domain (GROUP) enough? Do I
> have join to each domain separatly?

It should be but we learned a lot during the work on 3.2.0.
Basically we use a 3step process to discover all possible
trust paths now in Winbind.    I feel much more confident in
the trusted domain support in 3.2.x that previous releases.

cheers, jerry
- --
Likewise Software          ---------  http://www.likewisesoftware.com