[Samba] shadow_copy for homes share

Aaron Browne gopodge at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 12:22:21 GMT 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 10:29 PM, Cory Coager <ccoager at davisvision.com>wrote:

> I have successfully setup shadow_copy for normal shares on our samba test
> server.  However, I cannot get it working for the homes share because of its
> uniqueness.
>
> Here is the homes share:
>
>   [homes]
>     comment = Home Directories
>     read only = No
>     create mask = 0700
>     directory mask = 0700
>     browseable = no
>     fstype = XFS 1.2
>     vfs object = shadow_copy
>     shadow_copy: path = /samba/homes/
>     shadow_copy: subpath = %D+%U
>
> The users authenticate against Active Directory.  The path to the snapshots
> is located at /samba/homes/@GMT-YYYY.MM.DD-HH.MM.SS  Using the subpath each
> individual files should be located at
> /samba/homes/@GMT-YYYY.MM.DD-HH.MM.SS/DOMAIN+user but the previous versions
> tab is missing on this share.  What am I doing wrong?

Take a look on this page.. http://www.edplese.com/samba-with-zfs.html

The 3-paths.patch contains a description of exactly what you are trying to
do..

>From patch :

+    Below is example usage for a single large filesystem mounted
+    at /home that contains all of the home directories.  The
+    snapshots reside in /snapshots/home.
+
+    [homes]
+       path = /home/%U
+       public = no
+       writable = yes
+       printable = no
+       vfs object = shadow_copy
+       shadow_copy: path = /snapshots/home
+       shadow_copy: subpath = %U
+       shadow_copy: format = $Y.$m.$d-$H.$M.$S
+       shadow_copy: sort = desc
+       shadow_copy: localtime = yes