[Samba] Slow and unpredictable Samba performance?

Jakov Sosic jakov.sosic at srce.hr
Tue Aug 26 18:26:58 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 26 August 2008 19:23:19 Charles Marcus wrote:

> Max theortetical speed over a 100Mb network is 12.5MB, so 7.5-8.5 isn';t
> all that bad...

Yes, I know that, but Windows Servers reach peak at around 10.5-11 MB/s. Also,
If I switch to CSW Samba, transfer rates are almost exact (11MB/s).

Then we switched server to 1Gbit interface, and Samba only manage to preform
around 23MB/s. Theoretical limit is 125 MB/s, and again - CSW Samba on the
same machine in the same conditions transfers files at 44MB/s (which is
approximate limit of a local hard drive of a workstation).

So obviously, Sun's Samba has some issues.

On the other hand, I'm not satisfied with Blastwave's (CSW) Samba either. It
has old SysV init script and not SVC method like it is supposed to on Solaris
10, and next problem is nmbd/winbindd don't have their scripts at all. I have
to start them manually. I mean, CSW is a huge pain to maintain / configure /
integrate but preforms well, while Sun's is completely oposite :(

And I'm really keen to solve this one. I just can't get it - how can one Samba
have issues with transfer rates, and another one not, with the same exact
configuration?

--
|    Jakov Sosic    |    ICQ: 28410271    |   PGP: 0x965CAE2D   |
| start fighting cancer -> http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/   |