[Samba] Hig cpu-usage on 3.0.24 on 64bit Debian etch

Chris Smith smb_77 at chrissmith.org
Tue Aug 26 17:00:03 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 26 August 2008, Hans Otto Lunde wrote:
> The documentation says, that the guest-account should be defined,
> although I have "guest ok = no" in the smb.conf. Default for that
> account is the "nobody-user". Mine is called sambody and has a
> home-directory etc.

"guest ok = " is a share level parameter although it can be used in the
global section thereby affecting all shares that do not explicitly
reset it. It doesn't effect the actual guest account itself.

Typical default guest account is "nobody", although it can be virtually
anything (even "sambody"), but it does need to be a real 'nix user
(needs an entry in /etc/passwd).

The Windows "guest" account has to be mapped to the 'nix guest account
in your username map file, which is /etc/samba/smbusers in my case and
the global parameter tells samba where it is:
"username map = /etc/samba/smbusers".
In my case it contains:
#===============
root = administrator
nobody = guest

Yours should probably at the least contain:
sambody = guest
Again, where "sambody" is a valid 'nix account.

Also the global parameter "map to guest = " should be added to your
smb.conf, "map to guest = bad user" works for general guest usage.

--
Chris