[Samba] Slow and unpredictable Samba performance?

Christian McHugh christian.mchugh at nau.edu
Tue Aug 26 16:53:58 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 26 August 2008 09:32:01 Jakov Sosic wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 August 2008 18:23:18 Andrew Morgan wrote:
> > Why not open a support ticket with Sun then, since it is their packaging
> > of Samba that seems to be slow?  :)
>
> Because I use Solaris without support, and I tought this could be a version
> issue perhaps (3.0.23 vs 3.0.28)?

Just a quick rant, but I've had a samba ticket open with Sun since October.
They insist on statically compiling idmap_ad which breaks it. After I found
out, I asked on #samba about statically compiling the module and was informed
that it was a bad idea. I guess it is an untested path because when I try to
use the rfc2307 module samba says it can't find rfc2307.so, even though it
should not be looking for it because it is statically compiled.

My case with Sun has just been closed as unbreaking the shipped version of
samba is being called a request for enhancement and they want nothing more to
do with it. Point being, Sun's support is not very handy. I've gone through 3
different support engineers and I had to explain the process of ./configure
to each of them, and what it means to statically compile something.

samba.org has been responsive and good to me. I wish I could say the same of
the vendor we are paying money to. Sigh.

Christian McHugh
Northern Arizona University