[Samba] Slow and unpredictable Samba performance?

Jakov Sosic jakov.sosic at srce.hr
Tue Aug 26 16:10:03 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 26 August 2008 00:56:22 Dennis Clarke wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I've installed Solaris 10 x86 (Core2Duo - x64) server, with Samba over
> > ZFS RAID-Z. Samba is a part of Active Directory Domain. I've managed to
> > join it
> > to domain, to get the users and groups from A.D. and to translate them to
> > Unix IDs. Everything works really good. Samba is installed from the
> > packages
> > from Solaris 10 DVD.

> Remove all the old CSWsamba packages.

I already removed all the CSW packages... I installed them only to try the
transfer rates with another Samba package.

So you want to say that Sun packaged Samba has some problems and that's why
the transfer rates are so messed up? But how can that be possible, I mean,
Solaris is enterprise OS... And CSWSamba problem I had is the inability to
join ADS.

> Go get Samba 3.0.31 at
> http://www.blastwave.org/testing/samba-3.0.31,REV=2008.08.22-SunOS5.8-i386-
>CSW.pkg.bz2
>
> Or try Samba 3.2.2 :
>
> http://www.blastwave.org/testing/samba-3.2.2,REV=2008.08.22-SunOS5.8-i386-C
>SW.pkg.gz
>
> Pick one .. only one.
>
> Install it.
>
> You need to create your own /etc/init.d/cswsamba .. but I suggest
> something like this :
>
> http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/stuff/samba/samba_3x_cswsamba.txt
>
> then create your smb.conf in /opt/csw/etc/samba
>
> Let me know how it goes.

I will try it, although I hate this much experimenting with the machine that's
supposed to go into production :( If the stuff works I think I will need to
reinstall it from scratch :(

But the main question is still the same - what about Samba packaged by Sun?
From the system administrators point of view, it's working absolutely awesome
(SVC startup methods, winbind, wins, PAM integration, getent, kerberos)...

And to migrate all that stuff to CSW - I don't have a good experience with CSW
samba so far in that point of view :(

--
|    Jakov Sosic    |    ICQ: 28410271    |   PGP: 0x965CAE2D   |
| start fighting cancer -> http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/   |