[Samba] How to do a simple directory listing

Jeremy M jrmymllr at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 25 11:47:10 GMT 2008

I'm working on an embedded system that will communicate with a Samba server, and I'm wondering if there's a way to do a simple directory listing.  I used Wireshark to see what my Win2K computer does, and I see it's using FIND_FIRST2.  This is fine, probably acceptable, but Samba returns a lot of information I do not need, such as file creation/access times.  I just need filenames, and will only be reading from Samba.  It ends up being more data to store in limited RAM and parse.

Can NT_CREATE_ANDX be used to obtain a directory listing?  The CIFS Technical Reference states "This command is used to create or open a file or directory".  I thought I could specify a directory then use READ_ANDX, but I'm not surprised that didn't do what I had hoped.