[Samba] read-only share still requires domain user authentication?

Mike Eggleston mikeegg1 at mac.com
Sat Aug 23 16:38:47 GMT 2008

Hi,

I have an issue with how I have setup one of my shares. I have a file
system on one of my boxes that sync's to a cygwin repository on the
net. I eventually will have my internal windows workstations do a weekly
(or some frequency) sync to my internal cygwin repository. When at a
workstation I often do this cygwin sync by hand to make sure the user
has the latest cygwin files. When I run cygwin's setup pointed at my
local cygwin repository share, I must authenticate as a domain user.

I want this share to be readable by anyone.

Here's what I have for this share:

[cygwin]
    comment = cygwin package repository
    path = /opt/cygwin
    public = yes
    writable = no
    read only = yes
    printable = no
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = yes

Anyone see something I need to change? I don't understand why I must
authenticate to the share.

Mike

Fedora Core 5 with current patches
samba-3.0.24-7.fc5