[Samba] created user picks up machine accounts

Mugo Martin mmuchira at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 10:48:32 GMT 2008

Hi Francois,
I had not thought about that at all. Im using some Samba and Posix
extensions on Zimbra mail to create the user accounts and had set the base
index to be the same; 1000. Machines are added through Samba.

Let me check that out because I suspect that is the problem. I created the
user accounts first and then added the machines. However, I discovered that
this problem is not affecting SAMBA operation for now because users are
authenticating just fine.

The system simply reads LDAP and find that the new users UID to match that
of a machine. Machines are added to both */etc/passwd* and *LDAP* unlike
users. It chooses to return the record on record on /etc/password. So on
running

whoami

..it returns the machine.

I'm going to change the base ID for machines and see how the whole thing
will work.

Thanks so much Francois