[Samba] How to Join Samba Client to a Samba PDC Domain with ldap?

David Collins db.collins at yahoo.com.au
Sat Aug 23 01:06:51 GMT 2008

Manu,

You have 2 choices - your call ...

1. Have the Centos box act like a Windows PC, by installing Winbind, and
then join the Samba domain.  The Samba Howto has information about that.
In this case, it is irrelevant that the Samba database is LDAP.

2. Since you are using smbldap-tools, I presume the LDAP database holds
posix information about each Samba user?
If so, you can set up your Centos box to use LDAP for authentication, so
that anyone listed in LDAP can log onto the Centos box.
If you need to access Samba shared files, then you will also need to
install smbclient.  Also, pyNeighbourhood is a nice GUI for accessing
Samba shares from Linux.

Regards,
David Collins