[Samba] smbclient: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed

Massimo Maiurana maiurana at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 16:59:08 GMT 2008

hi all,
I'm facing a problem with a brand new installation on fedora 9.
packages were updated right after the installation, so the samba
packages are of the latest available version (3.2.0-17.fc9).

at the first run were created all the tree of tdb files under
/var/lib/samba.
now I create a new user:
[root at barbara Scrivania]# smbpasswd -a barbara
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Added user barbara.

looks like the user was created, but in the log I can see a bunch of
lines like this:
lib/account_pol.c: account_policy_get(324) account_policy_get:
tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field $n....

...where $n is a number between 1 and 10, so basically I get ten of
those lines.
every attempt to change user's password ends with this:
[barbara at barbara ~]$ smbpasswd
Old SMB password:
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
cli_pipe_validate_current_pdu: RPC fault code
DCERPC_FAULT_OP_RNG_ERROR received from remote machine 127.0.0.1
pipe \samr fnum 0x7672!
machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the password change: Error was : NT code
0x1c010002.
Failed to change password for barbara

also, if I try to connect to the server from the same machine this
is what I get:
[barbara at barbara ~]$ smbclient \\\\barbara\\Ufficio -U barbara
Enter barbara's password:
Domain=[BARBARA] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.0-17.fc9]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

it would look like the requested share is non-existent, but
unfortunately it isn't so:
[barbara at barbara ~]$ smbclient -L barbara
Enter barbara's password:
Domain=[BARBARA] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.0-17.fc9]

         Sharename       Type      Comment
         ---------       ----      -------
         Ufficio         Disk      Ufficio
         IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server Version
3.2.0-17.fc9)
         SCX-4x16_Series Printer   Samsung SCX-4x16 Series
Domain=[BARBARA] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.0-17.fc9]

         Server               Comment
         ---------            -------

         Workgroup            Master
         ---------            -------
         GRECOELEVATORI       BARBARA

and indeed the shared directory exists:
[barbara at barbara ~]$ ls -l /home/barbara/Documenti
totale 4
drwxr-xr-x 28 barbara barbara 4096  1 ago 10:19 Ufficio

in the same lan there is also a win98 client, and neither it is able
to access to the public share. using "map to guest = Bad User" I'm
able at least to access the printer but not the share.
here is my smb.conf stripped from commented and empty lines:
[global]
         workgroup = grecoelevatori
         server string = Samba Server Version %v
         lanman auth = yes
         client lanman auth = yes
         ntlm auth = no
         client ntlmv2 auth = no
         map to guest = Bad User
         log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
         max log size = 50
         security = user
         passdb backend = tdbsam
         load printers = yes
         cups options = raw
[printers]
         comment = All Printers
         path = /var/spool/samba
         browseable = no
         guest ok = yes
         writable = no
         printable = yes
[Ufficio]
         comment = Ufficio
         path = /home/barbara/Documenti/Ufficio
         public = yes
         writable = yes
         printable = no
         browseable = yes

and here is what I see in the log when trying to access the public
share, either from localhost and from the win98 client:
[2008/08/20 15:56:44,  0] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1152)
   '/home/barbara/Documenti/Ufficio' does not exist or permission
denied when connecting to [Ufficio] Error was Permission denied

bug in the fedora package? in this version of samba? in me :)?

again, this does happens on an installation from scratch, do not
really know if all is fine when there are a previous installation
and an existing /var/lib/samba.

thanks in advance, and sorry for my english.

--
       Massimo Maiurana         massimo<at>ragusa.linux.it
       http://massimo.solira.org       GPG keyID #7044D601

Articolo 33 - [...]Enti e privati hanno il diritto di istituire
scuole ed istituti di educazione, senza oneri per lo Stato.[...]