[Samba] connecting to shares in other subnet : slow

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Fri Aug 22 15:47:25 GMT 2008

Stefan G. Weichinger schrieb:

> Greets, samba-users,
>
> I contact this list because of a problem I face at a customer's site.
>
> We run Samba version 3.0.28-0.6-1787-SUSE-CODE10 there on a SLES 10 SP2
> server. This server is located behind a firewall (run by me), that
> firewall allows all relevant Samba-ports through (137-139, 445).
>
> The clients are located in a separated subnet, the routing between
> client- and server-subnet is run by an external service-provider, we
> have to trust in what they do (and say).
>
> Connections work fine as soon as they are established, the problem is
> that the connecting itself takes way too long.
>
> There's a small batch-script doing the "net use x: ..." and it sometimes
> takes up to half an hour (!) until the shares are connected.
>
> connecting via telnet works fine, so routing and firewalling seems to
> work OK.
>
> Today I narrowed things down via "smb ports = 445" but without
> improvements.
>
> Doing a "net view \\our.server.domain.tld" returns the shares
> immediately, and we also use the FQDN in the batch-script.
>
> As soon as the shares are connected, transfers are working fine and fast.
>
> Connections within the server-net start up immediately as well, so the
> hardware and smb.conf should be OK also afaik.
>
> [global]
>     workgroup = ROM
>     map to guest = Bad User
>     log level = 2
>     smb ports = 445
>     printcap name = cups
>     logon path = \\%L\profiles\.msprofile
>     logon drive = P:
>     logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
>     usershare allow guests = Yes
>     printing = cups
>     cups options = raw
>     print command =
>     lpq command = %p
>     lprm command =
>     include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf

I changed the stupid lines enabling roaming profiles here, don't need
that (thanks to Dale for pointing me at this off-list).

looks like

[global]
	workgroup = ROM
	log level = 2
	log file = /var/log/samba/%U.log
	max log size = 1000
	logon path =
	logon home =
	usershare allow guests = Yes

I toggled "use spnego" to no and changed the calling script to specify
the workgroup of the server as well.

Seems to help a bit ...

could spnego be the problem?

Thanks, Stefan