[Samba] Roaming profiles

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri Aug 22 15:02:55 GMT 2008

First, read the man smb.conf
there you will see DEFAULT profile acls = no

second if you setup your rights correctly, like
for example how i have it.
/home/samba/profiles ( 777)
and remember to set /home/samba at least 755 ( the last 5 is needed !! )

autocreated bij user at logoff /home/samba/profiles/USERNAME (700)
if a profile exist in test enviroment, logon, set everything in windows.
delete the profile from the server and logoff the profile is new
created again with correct rights.

when used force user = %U
its always the user.
but dont forget !!
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0700

when profiles are setup this way its just how xp sp1 and higher
checks its rights. with this setup you dont have to change
any thing in xp policies for the profiles.

this is how i have my profles in smb.conf
[profiles]
        path = /home/samba/profiles
        comment = Profile enviroment.
        read only = no
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0700
        browseable = Yes
        guest ok = Yes
        csc policy = disable
        force user = %U
        valid users = %U @"Domain Admins"

Sorry if i didnt reply your message, i didnt see that.

Louis