[Samba] created user picks up machine accounts

Mugo Martin mmuchira at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 14:36:26 GMT 2008

Hi all,

Have come across a strange error when setting up my samba users.

Set up a samba primary domain controller with an ldap backend and migrated
user profiles from another server

the process went well apart from a single user who after being created on
samba authenticates OK but upon creation, gets immediately mapped onto an
existing machine account on the server.

If I run su - user and smbclient -U user //host/user
it goes fine but on asking whoami returns a machine account like 23-43$.

I have tried everything including deleting the account, profile and
restarting the computer but everytime I recreate the account, it picks
qualities of a machine account at random

Therefore, logging onto a profile always fails

I'm baffled, help...

Regards,
Mugo