[Samba] [ANNOUNCE] Samba 3.2.2 Available for Download

James Kosin JKosin at intcomgrp.com
Fri Aug 22 14:11:59 GMT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian H. Nelson [mailto:bnelson at cis.ysu.edu]
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2008 9:18 AM
To: James Kosin
Cc: tkevans at tkevans.com; samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: Re: [Samba] [ANNOUNCE] Samba 3.2.2 Available for Download

>James Kosin wrote:
>> Tim,
>> You still may have to move the libraries to their normal spot or make an entry in /etc/ld.so.conf to point to >the directory where the libraries are kept for samba.
>>
>> James
>>

>On Solaris, one uses the crle command to achieve the same result.
>
>Aside from that, I believe that the general practice for packages that
>include their own libraries is to hard-code the libpath into any
>applicable binaries using '-rpath $prefix/lib' in the linking step (or
>'-R $prefix/lib' with Solaris ld).
>
>If you install samba into its own area (say /usr/local/samba) and the
>libraries are installed in a non-system location (perhaps
>/usr/local/samba/lib), messing with the runtime linker config to make
>samba work should NOT be required.
>
>-Brian

Well anyway, the problem is that ld cannot find the dynamic runtime libraries for samba.  This is a common problem when the libraries are not installed in the correct place or ld is not told the new location for the required libraries.
I yield the rest of the discussion to Brian who is a Solaris EXPERT.

:->

James