[Samba] Samba and Vista Home Prem login problems

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Fri Aug 22 08:22:46 GMT 2008

Brad Sacks wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for the replies. I haven't used Samba that much so I appreciate
> the help. I guess I didn't have logging turned on and I wasn't on
> 3.2.1. So I got 3.2.1 and turned on logging. This is the error I get
> when I connect on that share:
>
> [2008/08/17 09:35:57,  1] lib/util_sock.c:get_peer_name(1791)
>   get_peer_name: getnameinfo failed for 192.168.1.3 with error
> Temporary failure in name resolution
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You have a problem with the 2 computers being able to talk to each other, a
"name resolution" problem. I see you have configured samba to act as a "wins"
server for your network. Is there another MS server acting as a wins server or
domain controller?

Also, basic name resolution. Are you using /etc/hosts for name resolution or
are you using a DNS. If so is it configured properly? Are you using dhcp to get
your IP or do you have static IPs assigned? This is where the immediate problem
lies. Your config look OK

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC