[Samba] On move ACLs from source parent are preserved & not inherited from new parent

Blaz Primc expertmeant at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 19:22:18 GMT 2008

Hi!

We're using sernet-samba 3.0.28-21 on debian. (The smb.conf can be found
below)
There are 2 subfolders in root share directory "ponudbe" and "projects":

srv03:/srv/data/test# getfacl *
# file: ponudbe
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
user:COMPANY+administrator:rwx
group::r-x
group:COMPANY+ponudbe_rw:rwx
mask::rwx
other::---
default:user::rwx
default:user:COMPANY+administrator:rwx
default:group::r-x
default:group:COMPANY+ponudbe_rw:rwx
default:mask::rwx
default:other::---

# file: projects
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
user:COMPANY+administrator:rwx
group::r-x
group:COMPANY+projekti_rw:rwx
mask::rwx
other::---
default:user::rwx
default:user:COMPANY+administrator:rwx
default:group::r-x
default:group:COMPANY+projekti_rw:rwx
default:mask::rwx
default:other::---

When I connect with Windows XP client to share, ACLs are respected
properly. Then I create a new folder (as administrator) under "ponudbe"
  named "mapica". The problem occurs when I cut&paste this folder from
"ponudbe" into "projects". The default ACLs of "projects" dir are not
added to the folder "mapica" and the ACLs from "ponudba" folder are
preserved. Is this the expected behaviour?

srv03:/srv/data/test/projects# getfacl mapica/
# file: mapica
# owner: COMPANY+administrator
# group: root
user::rwx
user:COMPANY+administrator:rwx
group::rwx
group:COMPANY+ponudbe_rw:rwx
mask::rwx
other::---

Is there a way to configure Samba so that when I cut the folder "mapica"
to "projects" the default permissions of "projects" are added to
"mapica" and all of its subfolders? Is it possible to remove the
"default permissions of "ponudbe" at the same time?

Because with the current behaviour user has to be in group "ponudbe_rw"
to access folder "mapica" that was created in "ponudbe", but later moved
to "projects" folder.

Help appreciated!

Thanks! Blaz

--- smb.conf ---

[global]
    workgroup = COMPANY
    netbios name = SRV03
    realm = COMPANY.LOCAL
    server string = Dokumenti
    null passwords = yes
    dns proxy = no
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    log level = 3
    max log size = 5000
    syslog = 0
    security = ADS
    password server = srv05.COMPANY.local

    winbind separator = +
    winbind cache time = 300

    nt acl support = yes
    encrypt passwords = true
    #passdb backend = guest
    guest account = nobody
    invalid users = root
    preserve case = yes
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
    idmap uid = 18000-25000
    idmap gid = 18000-25000
    winbind enum users = yes
    winbind enum groups = yes