[Samba] Error loading module ad.so on AIX

Matt Anderson sokkerstud_11 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 18 18:42:17 GMT 2008

Dear Help,

I'm working on building samba from source (version 3.0.29) on AIX v6.1.  I used
the following configure statement:
./configure --with-shared-modules=idmap_ad --with-krb5=/etc/krb5 CC=xlc
CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/pware/include LDFLAGS=-L/opt/pware/lib

I then edited the Makefile so that the following libraries were included:
LIBS=-liconv -ldl -lcom_err -lnsl

And then to fix an AIX specific error I updated a line in
/usr/include/sys/stropts.h to read:
#define mod_filename ...
instead of:
#define mod_name

I was able to successfully compile and link everything and start samba up.
However, I'm unable to get user info from winbind (using wbinfo -i) or convert
SIDs to uids, uids to SIDs, SIDs to usernames or usernames to SIDs.  However,
wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g work just fine.

When I looked at log.winbindd-idmap, I found the following error:
Error loading module '/usr/local/samba/lib/idmap/ad.so': rtld: 0712-001 Symbol
_talloc_zero_zeronull was referenced from the module
/usr/local/samba/lib/idmap/ad.so(), but a runtime definition of the symbol was
not found.

So, I'm wondering if I'm just missing a library in the LIBS line in Makefile, or
if it's something on the AIX side that needs to be updated for this for winbind
to work properly with Active Directory.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

smb.conf is below...

Thanks!
-Matt

SMB.CONF
==========
# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = TEST
	realm = TEST.LOCAL
	security = ADS
	encrypt passwords = yes
	password server = IP.OF.AD.SERVER
	log level = 3
	log file = /usr/local/samba/var/%m.log
	max log size = 50

	idmap domains = TEST
	idmap config TEST:backend = ad
	idmap config TEST:default = yes
	idmap config TEST:schema_mode = rfc2307
#	idmap config DOMAIN:range = 100000-40000000

	winbind separator = +
	winbind use default domain = Yes
	winbind nested groups = Yes
	winbind enum users = yes