[Samba] Cannot mount cifs mounts automatically....

Günter Kukkukk linux at kukkukk.com
Mon Aug 18 01:42:04 GMT 2008

Am Sonntag, 17. August 2008 schrieb Gary Greene:
> On Saturday 16 August 2008 06:19:56 pm Günter Kukkukk wrote:
> > Am Samstag, 16. August 2008 schrieb Gary Greene:
> > > Using samba 3.2.1, when trying to mount cifs mounts at boot from in
> > > the /etc/fstab, I get the following error in my syslog:
> > >
> > >  CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -22
> > >
> > > After enabling debugging from the /proc interface, I get this:
> > >

> > >  fs/cifs/cifsfs.c: Devname: //skuld.tolharadys.net/greeneg flags: 0
> > >  fs/cifs/connect.c: CIFS VFS: in cifs_mount as Xid: 10 with uid: 0
> > >  fs/cifs/connect.c: Username: greeneg
> > >  fs/cifs/connect.c: CIFS VFS: leaving cifs_mount (xid = 10) rc = -22
> > >  CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -22
> > >
> > > Can someone please shed some light on this? Error codes versus helpful
> > > error messages are less than helpful....
> >
> > the value -22 is the negative representation of EINVAL (from errno.h),
> > which cifs is returning here in connect.c function cifs_mount(), when it
> > parses parameters passed down by mount and "an error condition is seen"
> > during parameter handling.
> >
> > Please post your complete cifs mount entry from /etc/fstab or the
> > 'mount -t cifs ...' command you used for testing.
> > Cheers, Günter
>
> Attached is my system's fstab with scrubbed password entries. To note, running
> mount manually by hand instead of using the fstab entry works.

could it be that you are using a somewhat outdated version of cifs vfs?
The debug string "in cifs_mount as Xid: 10 with uid: 0" isn't used anymore
these days...
What's the outcome of 'modinfo cifs' ?

In addition, does it work when you (temporarely) replace e.g.
"//skuld.tolharadys.net/greeneg" with "//<ip_of_that_box>/greeneg"
in your /etc/fstab ?

Cheers Günter