[Samba] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_PASSWORD_MUST_CHANGE

John Baker johnnyb at marlboro.edu
Fri Aug 15 18:45:00 GMT 2008

Hi there,

I'm working on a new print server to replace one that's pretty long in
the tooth.

I'm using standard packages from Ubuntu Hardy Heron which appears to be
Samba 3.0.28a. We use LDAP for the authentication backend. I seem to
have that configured properly as I get a ldap_connect_system: succesful
connection to the LDAP server in the log but every login fails with:

FAILED with error NT_STATUS_PASSWORD_MUST_CHANGE

I haven't found much searching other than this is something that
appeared to happen with 3.0.28a.

We have no password policy and have not had this trouble with any
previous version of Samba.

Is it a bug?
It there any fix for this or do I need to go back to dappper or compile
a different version?

Thank you
--
John Baker