[Samba] Opening shares very slow

Matthew Daubenspeck matt at oddprocess.org
Fri Aug 15 16:50:30 GMT 2008

The first time I connect to any shares on my 3.0.31 Samba setup, it
takes 20-30 seconds to open the share. Once it is opened, things run
normally with no problems. If I leave the machine and return, the first
time I open the drive it does the same. I have tested it with several XP
clients.

If I use an OSX client or Linux, I never see this problem. I am using a
fairly stripped down smb.conf:

[global]
        netbios name = BEEBLEBROX
        workgroup = NWLSD
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 100
        security = user
        load printers = No
        hosts allow = 172.17., 127.
        smb ports = 139

[distfiles]
        nt acl support = no
        path = /home/distfiles
        writable = yes
        guest ok = no
        browsable = no
        valid users = @distfiles
        create mask = 0755
        directory mask = 0755

That is just an example of a share, but it is basically setup the same
for all other shares. Any suggestions?

I believe it started around 3.0.25 and has continued to happen since.

--
  Matthew Daubenspeck
  http://oddprocess.org

Gentoo Linux x86_64 Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 165
12:43:41 up 277 days, 3:31, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00