[Samba] Ubuntu 8.04 breaks samba file locking

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Aug 13 23:38:55 GMT 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 10:21:56PM -0400, douglas germann wrote:
> Jeremy--
>
> Thanks! Had not thought of using smbstatus.
>
> What is happening is that the Ubuntu clients are establishing a lock of
> deny_none, and the WinXP client is establishing deny_write.
>
> I have tried changing oplocks and kernel oplocks to yes, and all else to
> the defaults shown here, but there is no change in this behavior:
> http://www.physiol.ox.ac.uk/Computing/Online_Documentation/using_samba/ch05_05.htmll
>
> What else should I try, please?

Ok, deny_none should conflict with deny_write, so you should
see "someone else has this file open" between WinXP and
the Ubuntu clients.

However, for UNIX clients they need to provide mutual exclusion
using byte range locks (the traditional UNIX way) not deny
modes. I'm not sure if OpenOffice on Ubuntu does this (it
should).

Jeremy.