[Samba] syslog only broken on 3.2.0 (debian lenny)?

Chris Hiestand chiestand at salk.edu
Wed Aug 13 21:17:42 GMT 2008

I can't really imagine syslog only is broken, otherwise other people
would have complained about this already. I am using syslog-ng, and
other daemon facility messages get routed to /var/log/daemon.log - but
I get absolutely no samba messages - to any log except the default
samba logs.

lines from smb.conf:
syslog only = yes
syslog = 3

If I comment out these lines and use (log level = 3), I get correct
logging in the smbd and nmbd logs. Further, we have a different
machine running debian etch (samba 3.0.24) with a nearly identical
configuration and syslogging works fine.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!