[Samba] samba print server client job queues.

Chris Jeter cjeter at sunflowerbroadband.com
Mon Aug 11 20:05:10 GMT 2008

Hello,
	I'm working on setting up a corporate print server with samba
3.2.0-2.17 on a Fedora 9 install. I've been able to get the services up
and running and added several printers via the cups interface, also
been able to upload the windows drivers. This all works well, printing
also works well.
	The problem that I am running into is that the old print jobs
seem to be getting stored somewhere in samba and i've been unable to
figure out how to turn this option off. I've set the

PreserveJobHistory No
PreserveJobFiles No

options in my cupsd.conf file though this does not effect the queues
viewed by the clients, only the jobs viewable via the cups interface.
Even once the jobs have been manually deleted from the queue and no
longer show up when it is opened up, windows still shows job counts in
the printers and fax folder.

	These job counts seem to be getting stored in
the /var/lib/samba/printing*.tdb files. If i delete these the print
count goes back to 0 but will start counting back up as jobs move
through the printer.

My smb.conf is very basic

[Global]

        netbios name = twcps01
        workgroup = <DOMAIN
        server string = Print Server
        wins server = x.x.x.x
        security = user
        encrypt passwords = yes
        interfaces = lo eth0
        bind interfaces only = yes
        username map=/etc/samba/smbusers
        passdb backend=tdbsam

        null passwords = no
        hide unreadable = yes
        hide dot files = yes

        printcap name = cups
        printing = cups
        cups options = raw
        use client driver = no
        load printers = yes

[printers]

        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        browseable = no
        public = yes
        guest ok = yes
        writable = no
        printable = yes

[print$]
comment = Windows Client Printer Drivers
path = /var/lib/samba/windows_printer_drivers
browseable = yes
guest ok = yes
read only = no