[Samba] 'getent passwd' shows duplicate user accounts

André Welter welter at bitbone.de
Mon Aug 11 06:52:21 GMT 2008

Hi,

David Collins schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> I am setting up an LDAP Samba server, and have migrated all the local
> posix account info into it as well as creating the smb account info.
>
> I have now set up this server to use LDAP for authentication (rather
> than /etc/passwd, etc.) like so ...
> sudo apt-get --yes install ldap-auth-client
> sudo auth-client-config -a -p lac_ldap
>
> When testing the result with 'getent passwd', I see all the LDAP user
> accounts, but it seems the info in /etc/passwd file is also reported.
>
> Is this normal?

Have a look at your /etc/nsswitch.conf. If it contains something like this:
passwd:         files ldap
group:          files ldap
shadow:         files ldap

(while 'files' could also read 'compat') it is indeed normal and
normally it should be left this way so you have authentication during
system startup before ldap becomes available.

Cheers,

André